Radiocures: because radio just plain sucks

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Heavy walking

Sun Kil Moon-Glenn Tipton
This song is so much more than the sum of it's parts. Just his voice just a guitar. His voice, god, it wavers sometimes, I can't tell if its intentional but its moving nonetheless. He creates this incredibly heavy mood for him to contemplate his father, his heroes, death, friends and lost love-"I claimed my first victim when I was nineteen", and loneliness-"I stay up all night watching cable" and damn near anything you can think of. For some reason I find Mark Kozelek's, former frontman fo the Red House Painters, music very powerful. It's kind of like Dylan Thomas' poetry, sometimes I can't read more than two in a row because it so overwhelming. This is Sun Kil Moon's only album, and when I checked their website it says presently they have no plans to record which is shame. The album which this comes from "Ghosts of the Great Highway" stays very much in the same mood as this song, its opener, but the music is varied adding in drums, electric guitars, and other things along the way. They only accent the beauty of the music, its never smeared onto the song unpurposefully.

Sun Kil Moon-Gentle Moon
Here's another song. Reminds me of a transient walking down an empty road with light of the full moon being his only friend.
Kind of sad, but beautiful.

3 Comments:

  • radio cures, shamdio shmurs

    By Anonymous corbin, at 4:47 PM  

  • Thank you for reading my blog corbin, a constructive comment would be nice once in a while though.

    By Blogger Richard, at 5:38 PM  

  • hi richard. this song is truly amazing. there is something so pure about artists who strip their work down to their voice and a guitar. his voice is so gentle, perfect for the mood. great choice! in fact, everything on here is great and unique. awesome!

    By Anonymous Colin, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home