Radiocures: because radio just plain sucks

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Corwood Industries

Jeff Tweedy-Crack a Smile (Jandek Cover)
I've been meaning to get into Jandek after reading about him for a while but never followed through. If you want to learn more than what I have to say about him go here. Jandek's albums, numbering at 40, are supposed to be diffcult, dissonant, and terrifying to listen to. This description matches up with what Jeff Tweedy has to offer for the Jandek tribute album "Down in a Mirror: A Second Tribute to Jandek. The out of tune guitar, Tweedy's whispery and cavernous voice(due to all the reverb), and his son Spencer on the drums, and that weird piano thing makes for one of the creepiest things I've ever heard. Certaintly its the creepiest thing from the Wilco frontman I've ever heard. Jandek's own recordings are supposed to be way scarier than this, "Crack a Smile" was the impetus I needed to get up and actually get a Jandek CD. Oh and by the way another of my favorite artists, The Mountain Goats, also contribute a track to this tribute album. Cool beans, enjoy.

2 Comments:

  • Richard is cool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 AM  

  • I am Clay, AKA Live Show Rabbits, who appears on this album. I can tell you that Mr. Tweedy's song, while creepy, is Sesame Street compared to what you will find on a Jandek album, as are most of the other tracks. You should hear the original "Crack a Smile"--incredible difference! I had to re-write the music to "You Painted Your Teeth" due to my inability to properly recreate such cacaphony as Jandek himself did. It's like delving into the most personal thoughts of a person with the appropriate confusion surrounding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home