Radiocures: because radio just plain sucks

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Hey Ma! Get-off the Roof!

Yo-Yo Ma-Libertango
Sometimes you just need some classical music. This tango composed by the late Astor Piazzolla is awe inspiring. The amount of drama that is shoved into these 3:10 doesn't seem humanly possible. The open of the song is already thick with tension but when Yo-Yo Ma's cello enters into the song, it just slices through all the other sounds smoothly but also draws them closer together. It feels like he's playing with the lightest touch, but it is filled with fury and intensity that sometimes when I listen to this I unconsciously clench my jaw. Also, note the understated guitar at the end ducking in out of the the viola, bandoneon, percussion, and the cello. It only adds to the jawesomeness that is this song. This is from the Yo-Yo Ma album "The Soul of the Tango" where he plays the compositions of Piazzolla. note: This is a great album and I must thank Ben for lending it to me for the last two...going on three years.

5 Comments:

  • I believe it's "hey ma get of the dang roof."

    By Anonymous Cletus, at 12:40 PM  

  • of=off. Hill folk can't spell.

    By Anonymous Cletus, at 12:41 PM  

  • I am shamed, I got the quote wrong.

    By Blogger Richard, at 2:16 PM  

  • Yo Yo was just here visiting, i am shamed for not seeing him talk.

    By Anonymous Brandon, at 8:51 PM  

  • This song sounds familiar. I think another version of this song is on an album I have of Portuguese Fado music. No, it's on the Tosca Tango Orchestra CD. Tosca is the band featured in Linklater's Waking Life.

    By Anonymous Terri, at 6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home