Radiocures: because radio just plain sucks

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Monsters?

Andrew Bird-Fake Palindromes
Why is it whenever I hear something that sounds Eastern/Indin my intial thoughts are of George Harrison? It's kind of annoying in a way because when I first heard "Fake Palindromes" all I was thinking about was "Within You, Without You" from Sgt. Pepper's. But then I got over that and realized that this was a great and succinct song, ending before it wears out it's welcome, I'm looking at you prog-rock. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Anyway, "Fake Palindromes" sucks you in with those shape-shifting layers of violin, mammoth and chaotic drumming and then meditates on an simple bass/guitar figure. It's this simple musical bed that's perfect for Bird's languid voice to rest on. And you know, I can't decide if it's the delivery that makes the lyrics great or visa versa. Whether he saying slightly paranoid "Monsters?" or almost passionately "She's got blood in her eyes and her eyes for you" it kicks ass and makes me laugh becasue it's so ridiculously well crafted. Although, sadly the album from which this hails, "The Mysterious Production Eggs", is not so great. I don't know if I'm missing something but nothing on the CD even comes close to "Fake Palindromes". The innovation and the energey found in this song are nowhere to be found. I'm gonna keep listening to this album though, and hope I (or it) comes around.

1 Comments:

  • That song would have been really boring without the indian-sounding interlude thing. Also, I wish they would have kept some of the "Indian sound" during the whole song for continuity. The parts could have flowed a little better; the Indian part and the singing part sounded like different songs.

    By Anonymous cybervato, at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home